Skip to content

Gas Dilling on Campus?

April 9, 2011

Slippery Rock, Lock Haven, Mansfield, and several other state universities in Pennsylvania could see unconventional natural gas fracking on their campuses in the near future.

These universities lie atop the Marcellus Shale formation currently under industrial development.  The schools also must try to regain a large amount of state aid funding being cut in Governor Corbett’s budget proposals.

“The measure by Rep. Matt Baker, R-68, Wellsboro, would divide gas and oil rents and royalties on property owned by the State System of Higher Education in two ways: 60 percent would go to the university hosting the wells for building and energy conservation projects. The other 40 percent would be allocated to universities that don’t host gas wells to use for the same purposes.”


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: